Dear parents and guardians
in preparation for next Tuesday’s joyful celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation, we ask your cooperation with the following:
- Please ensure that your child knows by heart the responses needed to take part in the ceremony. These are available on https://navanparish.ie/confirmation-day-2020/ as a 4 page leaflet.
- We are asking you to set aside some time with your child over this weekend to read, pray and learn your way through the ceremony which includes the dialogue with the bishop.
- Please join us for one of the online Masses www.navanparish.ie/webcam on Sunday (9am, 11am or 1pm) at which your child will have the opportunity to practice the Renewal of Baptismal promises and get some words of encouragement from the priests of the parish.
- We are asking you to explore honestly and sincerely with your child the invitation to take the Confirmation pledge. This is a solemn promise to abstain from alcohol and other harmful drugs until they reach the age of 18. We encourage you to offer this to your child as a positive and courageous decision for their physical and mental wellbeing.
- The school will communicate to you the colour-coded door by which you will enter the church. Please ask your child’s Sponsor to collect at the door a printed card which displays the candidate’s chosen Confirmation name.
- Please note that the Child Safeguarding Policy of our parish does not permit the taking of photographs or video recordings during the ceremony.
- When they are invited to approach the bishop, please ensure that the sponsor places his/her right hand on the child’s shoulder and with their left hand shows the card clearly to the bishop.
- Religious objects will be blessed at the end of the ceremony. Our parish shop at St Mary’s Church has a wide selection of religious articles suitable for Confirmation.
- A collection will be taken up at the end of the ceremony towards the running costs of the parish. We appreciate your support of the parish at this time.
- Kindly follow the directions of our parish volunteers on the day who have generously made themselves available to assist at all ceremonies and to disinfect all surfaces in the churches of the parish.